Organic Vegetable Gardening: Organic refers to the way agricultural products and foods are grown and processed. Organic production is based on a system of farming and gardening that maintains and replenishes soil fertility without the use of toxic and persistent pesticides and fertilizers.
The “organic” food label identifies food grown with practices that:
- Don’t use synthetic pesticides, herbicides and soil fumigants.
- Don’t use genetic engineering
- Don’t use sewage sludge as fertilizer
- Do improve the quality and fertility of the soil
- Do protect water quality
- Do reduce soil erosion
- Do rely on natural biological systems for pest and weed control
- Do reduce the impact of agriculture on our environment
- Do produce high quality, great tasting food