We have started Growing Green Onion, Chives and Spinach organically in our back room, near the window. Since we are at 7,000 feet of elevation in Colorado (Spoken Cold or Hotto),
We wanted to get some vegetables sooner than Later.
In the past we have lost plants as late as may due to a hard frost and some snow. This year, we are doing things differently to ensure a good Harvest.
According to pyroenergen.com, there are many health improvements that can be had from eating 100–150 grams of green onion a day.
The next vegetable that we are growing is Chives. Chives are known to be a mild anti-inflammatory. They also have some antibiotic properties, like the other plants in the allium group (onions, garlic, et al). The main reason that we are growing them is this: We like them on baked potatoes and in salads. The flavor that it adds is great, but not as strong as some of the onions that we have grown.
Organic Facts.net shares this information about Spinach:
Spinach has many important roles to play in maintaining a healthy body and various health benefits of spinach include:
- Good Eyesight: Spinach is a rich source of beta carotene, lutein and xanthene, all of which are beneficial for eyesight. Beta carotene is supplied to the eyes by cooked spinach. It can prevent one from vitamin A deficiency disease, itching eyes, eye ulcers and dry eyes.
- Age-related Macula Degeneration (AMD): AMD or Retinitis pigmentosa is responsible for causing blindness. It is due to the degeneration of lutein and xanthene which form central part of the retina. According to research conducted by Oak Ridge National Laboratory, consumption of spinach can result in regaining of the two pigments and preventing AMD effectively.
- Blood Pressure: Spinach has high content of potassium and low content of sodium. This composition of minerals is very beneficial for high blood pressure patients as potassium lowers and sodium raises the blood pressure. Folate present in spinach contributes in reducing hypertension and relaxes blood vessels, maintaining proper blood flow.
- Strengthens Muscles: A component of spinach, factor C0-Q10 which is an anti-oxidant, plays important role in strengthening muscles especially heart muscle which continuously pumps blood to all parts of the body. As per the Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, C0-Q10 can be used to prevent and treat many cardiovascular diseases like hyperlipidemia, heart failure, hypertension and coronary heart diseases.
- Cataract: Lutein and zeaxanthin present in spinach act as strong antioxidants thus preventing the eyes from harsh effects of UV rays that lead to cataract.
- Atherosclerosis and Heart Attack: Atherosclerosis is caused due to hardening of arteries. A pigment named lutein found in spinach has been shown to reduce the occurrence atherosclerosis, heart attack as well as stroke. This is due to the fact that spinach proteins tend to reduce the cholesterol and other fat deposits in the blood vessels. For me, Since I have had a few heart attacks, this was important.
- Neurological Benefits: Several components of spinach like potassium, folate, and various antioxidants are known to provide neurological benefits. According to Neurology, folate which reduces due to occurrence of Alzheimer‘s disease can be revived by spinach.
- Bone Mineralization: Spinach is a good source of Viatmin K, which functions in retaining calcium in the bone matrix thereby leading to bone mineralization. Apart from this, other minerals like manganese, copper, magnesium, zinc and phosphorus also help in building up of strong bones. This in turn can prevent an individual from osteoporosis of bones.
- Anti-Ulcerative: It has been found that spinach and some other vegetables have the ability to protect the mucous membrane of stomach thereby decreasing the occurrence of gastric ulcers.
- Anti-Cancerous Property: Spinach made up of various important constituents has been found to be promising in various kinds of cancer. These include bladder, prostate, liver and lung cancer. Different constituents in spinach like folate, tocopherol, chlorophyllin act via different mechanisms to treat and protect patients suffering from cancer.
We will be sharing how our Indoor Organic Garden or MiniFarm as some people call it, as it progesses. We are looking forward to seeing what you are doing in your world!
You Are Totally Awesome, and I know that you just can not help it, for that is the way God Created you!
Turning Your Dreams into the Life of Your Dreams
Founder hisfarm.org and Ambassador of Natural News and Sustainable Living on How to Live on Purpose.com